Friday, January 30, 2015

Black Bean Brownies

I found this peculiar gem while searching Pinterest for clean eating ideas. I didn't set out for a dessert recipe, but I'm not going to argue when one pops up on a search like that. In fact, I'm all ears, and eyes of course, and these looked and sounded amazing; you know, outside of the black bean ingredient. Don't get me wrong, I like black beans. I just didn't think they belonged in a brownie... until now.

These are rich and fudgy, full of fiber and protein, and they're gluten free (a bonus for some!); so they taste great AND they're healthy! It took all the self control I had not to eat the whole pan. Again, it sounded good in theory, except for that black bean ingredient again. I don't think I'm willing to risk what would become of me if I consumed an entire can of black beans in one sitting, or in one day for that matter.
I tweaked the recipe slightly and was happy with the results.

Black Bean Brownies
1 (15.5oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
2 Tbs oil
4 Tbs cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4-1/3 cup mini chocolate chips 

Puree beans and eggs together in a food processor. Transfer mixture to a bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients until fully incorporated. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know whether it's possible to substitute stevia based baking sweetener for the coconut palm sugar?

    ReplyDelete