Saturday, October 11, 2014

Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes

It's fall. If you know me, you know this is my absolute favorite time of year. This morning I woke my family up to that familiar, yummy, fall smell of pumpkin. Most pumpkin pancakes call for the laborious task of separating the whites from the eggs and whipping them to get that essential fluffiness of a pancake because pumpkin is very dense. Somehow, these work without that. They are thick, spongy and so tasty. I'm all for making things easier. Be warned however; this recipe makes a lot. Because I developed it myself, it's never been tested in smaller quantities. If you make a smaller batch, let me know how it turns out.
Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes
4 c. whole wheat flour 
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp sugar
2 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 c pumpkin puree
4 eggs
2 c kefir (I make it so it's always on hand but you could substitute buttermilk)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 Tbs mini chocolate chips (optional; There is something magical about pumpkin and chocolate. But, in my opinion, chocolate can make pretty much anything magical)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients including the chocolate chips. Set aside. In another bowl (I use my glass Pampered Chef 8 cup batter bowl because it has all the convenient amounts listed on the side and I don't have to dirty other measuring cups-- remember that I'm all for "easy") Add your pumpkin puree, pour in your kefir or buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together well. Dump your liquid into your flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Never, ever, ever, ever, over mix pancake batter. You'll end up with a rubbery pancake instead of a fluffy one, your kids will have trouble cutting through it, and you'll end up with 3-4 simultaneous meltdowns at the breakfast table. It's not pretty; or so I've heard... Heat a griddle to 350 degrees and drop by 1/4 to 1/2 cupfuls. When bubbles start to form on the top of the pancakes, they are ready to flip. Only flip a pancake once or you'll end up with less-than-stellar results in the fluff department as well. They are done when the bottoms are golden brown. Serve immediately with real maple syrup, whipped cream, nuts, more chocolate.... 


 Want to know my secret to the (almost) perfect rounds? My large Pampered Chef scoop. No, I do not sell Pampered Chef products but maybe I should...

These go splended with a big ole cup of French roast coffee. I purchase mine through Amazon's subscribe and save program. Did you know you can get a case of 36 cups of ORGANIC French Roast biodegradable K-cups for less than $15? Bonus; they auto ship it every month. Bonus, bonus; if you order through Amazon Smile, you can choose a charity to get a percentage of everything you buy on Amazon. No, I don't work for them either... Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! And great product placement LOL! If you ever want to 'try on the apron' let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete